Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tomatillo Sauce

This past weekend I made some recipes that I love.  Here is one of them:

Tomatillo Sauce

Ingredients:
  •  1 or more serranos (this depends on how brave you are, the more serranos the spicer the sauce...I use 3)
  •  8-10 medium tomatillos 
  •   
  •  1/2 medium white onion
  •  Garlic cloves (up to you how many cloves, but I use 5 because I love garlic)
  •  
  •  1 or more limes (I use 1-2 typically)
  • Water (I don't measure, just put enough in a pot to boil the tomatillos & serranos all at once)

Cooking Equipment:
  • Large pot 
  • Blender 
  • cutting board

Directions:

 Peel the membrane off the tomatillos and wash each tomatillo.  Wash the serranos.  Place all of the serranos and tomatillos in a large pot of boiling water. You will know they are done when the skin starts to peel off and they have a brownish color on the side of the skin that touched the water.

While the serranos & tomatillos are boiling finely dice the onion.  Once the serranos & tomatillos are finished boiling place them in a blender with half the diced onions, garlic cloves & lime juice.  Carefully place each tomatillo & serrano on a cutting board (careful, they're super hot!) and cut off the stem of each. It's messy and is easiest done with a fork holding the tomatillo or Serrano while you cut.  While cutting be careful because the water inside them can be extremely hot....I emphasize to be careful from experience!

Since the tomatillos and serranos contain water from boiling I add a little of the same water that they boiled in to the blender. Like I said, I don't measure so it's best to start off with a small amount to add to the blender. Should it be too thick you can always add more water. I also squeeze juice from a lime or two into the blender and blend away.

I either use this sauce to make enchiladas or just to dip tortilla chips in. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment